Ellul is the chief executive of a group of companies in the marketing and management consultancy field operating in Malta, Manchester, Edinburgh, Sicily and Dubai, amongst other countries.
He specialised his studies in marketing and management in Malta, the UK and the US and is an alumnus of the Judge Business School of the University of Cambridge. He was also an elected official of the Executive Committee of the European Forum for Urban Security under the aegis of the Council of Europe and represents Malta in the European Disability Forum and the European Union of Supported Employment.
He was also an elected official of the Executive Committee of the European Forum for Urban Security under the aegis of the Council of Europe and a delegate in the European Disability Forum and the European Union of Supported Employment.
In Scotland, Dr. Ellul was very much involved with the Friends of Rosslyn [Chapel], and has lectured extensively in the region. He was government consultant for three years in Slovenia, urban safety management consultant for the municipality of Budapest, Hungary and was also a consultant for many consecutive years in the Middle East for the Dubai Shopping Festival, the Dubai Summer Surprizes, the Al Ain Flower Festival and the Salalah Shopping Festival. His organisation was also entrusted to assist in the official opening of the Bahrain Formula One competition.
He was admitted as Liveryman of the Worshipful Company of Marketors of the City of London and in 2005 was granted the Freedom of the City of London. In his native Malta, Ellul has also been appointed to a number of consultancy positions and served on various governmental boards or entities.
He is a published author in Malta, the US and the UK on subjects varying from medieval and modern history to social independent living. Some of his books have been translated into other languages, including Russian, Greek and Hungarian. Apart from the mentioned published books, Ellul's poetry was also published in the US and the UK.
He occupied various posts in the Malta Labour Party, including Secretary of the Youth Commission, International Secretary of the Young Socialists, President of the Young Students' Movement, Assistant General Secretary and Assistant Education Secretary of the Malta Labour Party. Throughout his political career, he chaired a number of important party committees and was responsible for extensive mass events in Malta. He was a Parliamentary Candidate for the Malta general elections of 1996 and 1998.
In 2002, he was appointed as Chancellor of the Grand Priory of the Mediterranean of the Hospitaller Order of Saint Lazarus of Jerusalem and is the Chairman of the Saint Lazarus Foundation. In 2008, he was appointed as the Grand Chancellor of the Hospitaller Order of Saint Lazarus of Jerusalem. Ellul was elected as the Honorary Secretary of the Malta Federation of Organizations and Persons with Disability (MFOPD) and Vice President of the Malta Association of Supported Employment.
Massimo Ellul was also the Chairman of the annual Malta International Folk Festival, and sits on/consults the board of directors of various firms and organisations in Malta, England, Scotland, Sicily and Dubai. In Malta, his management firm was instrumental in projecting a number of innovative firsts, including the management and promotion of international arena bands on the island, exporting and managing Maltese talent, the promotion of live music and the innovative use of marketing tools such as billboarding.
He is a Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts and a Companion of the Institute of Sales & Marketing Management, amongst other international institutions.
- 'Archived copy'. Archived from the original on 2011-07-14. Retrieved 2011-03-12.
- Giornale di Brescia, 12.02.1997, page 21
- Gulf News - Business Section, 06.07.2002, page 29
- 'Archived copy'. Archived from the original on 2011-07-22. Retrieved 2011-03-12.
- 'Archived copy'. Archived from the original on 2011-07-11. Retrieved 2011-03-12.
- 'MASSIMO ELLUL | ICIJ Offshore Leaks Database'. offshoreleaks.icij.org.
- 'European Forum for Urban Security -'. efus-network.eu. Retrieved 8 May 2019.
- Dictionary of Maltese Biographies Volume 1, (Michael J. Sciavone) PIN Publishing 2009, ISBN 978-99932-91-32-9
- 'Graces in Favour' (PDF). wcmdemoarchive.daisy.websds.net. Retrieved 2019-11-13.
- Allied Newspapers. 'Heard in the Hive'. Times of Malta. Retrieved 8 May 2019.
- Max J. Ellul (Author). 'The Sword and the Green Cross: The Saga of the Knights of Saint Lazarus from the Crusades to the 21st Century.: Max J. Ellul: 9781456714215: Amazon.com: Books'. Amazon.com. Retrieved 2019-11-13.
- Max Joseph Ellul (editor) (Author). 'The Green Eight Pointed Cross: The Order of Saint Lazarus of Jerusalem throughout the ages: Amazon.co.uk: Max Joseph Ellul (editor): 9789993203179: Books'. Amazon.co.uk. Retrieved 2019-11-13.
- Imhatra li Diga Insejt - Peter Darmanin - PIN Publishing 1996, ISBN 99909-41-29-7
- General Elections - Michael J Schiavone - PIN Publishing 2003, ISBN 99932-41-50-4
- Who's Who in the House 1921-2006 - Joe Felice Pace - Midsea Books 2006, ISBN 978-99932-7-115-4
- World Orders of Knighthood and Chivalry, Volume 2 - Burke's Peerage and Gentry - 2006, ISBN 0-9711966-7-2
- 'The Hospitaller Order of Saint Lazarus of Jerusalem'. www.saintlazarus.org. Retrieved 8 May 2019.
- Allied Newspapers. 'Difficulties of persons with disabilities aired'. Times of Malta. Retrieved 8 May 2019.
- Allied Newspapers. 'Association for supported employment'. Times of Malta. Retrieved 8 May 2019.
- 'Archived copy'. Archived from the original on 2011-07-08. Retrieved 2011-03-12.
- 'EAST-WEST BRIDGE'. www.ewb.rs.
- The Malta Book of Records - Frans A. Attard - Uptrend Publishing 1999, ISBN 99932-0-037-9
- 'Maltese Marketer awarded fellowship - The Malta Independent'. www.independent.com.mt. Retrieved 8 May 2019.
- The Winning Edge, Journal of the Institute of Sales and Marketing Management, UK, May 1998